Buying Jewellery

We've prepared this page to answer the most common questions we receive. If your question isn't answered here or you need more information, please contact us.

Gifts are probably one of the imperative parts in any relationship that is why when it comes to buying jewellery such as gold, silver and platinum, it is important to know what to get for your loved one. Buying Jewellery is the perfect way to express your feelings or make a personal statement to a loved one. Alternative metals such as palladium are also very popular in the world of fine jewellery. With a vast amount of experience, YLJ are pleased to bring you this helpful guide to buying the perfect jewellery, whether it is for you or for a loved one.

This guide features exciting information on what to look out for and how to recognise markings such as hallmarks for your reassurance.


Diamonds in particular come in a wide range of size and quality, therefore price can differ greatly from one stone to another. That is why when buying a diamond ring, earring etc.. It is important to purchase them from a trust and reliable source. There are four things to take into consideration when buying a diamond: carat, cut, clarity and colour. These determine the value of the diamond.


Platinum is a durable and versatile metal that has a natural white colour. With 95% purity, platinum is a popular choice for engagement rings, wedding rings, necklaces, rings and earrings, particularly when it comes to setting stones such as diamonds and precious gemstones. Platinum jewellery is perfect for those with sensitive skin as it is naturally hypoallergenic and non-reactive to the skin. As like all other metals, platinum jewellery carries the 950 hallmark, declaring its value, quality and authenticity however the beauty about platinum is that it can be quite heavy in comparison to gold and silver and does not chip away, unless it comes into contact with stronger materials such as steel.


When it comes to buying gold jewellery there are two things to take in to consideration. Its purity levels and colour. Generally gold comes in 9ct or 18ct, either in yellow, white or rose gold. The higher the carat number, the higher the percentage of gold is in your jewellery. 9ct is the most affordable form of gold jewellery. It is formed with 37.5% pure gold and holds other metals making it strong and durable, especially when it comes to fine jewellery, making it a popular choice. 18ct has a content of 75% gold, with the remaining 25% made of other metals, making it durable. 18ct gold is more vibrant and brighter than 9ct gold and is widely used in todays market. 24ct is the purest form of gold which consists of 99.9% of gold. It is naturally yellow and highly valuable however due to the nature of its form it is very soft and malleable, so it is not commonly used to make fine jewellery.


Sterling silver consists of 92.5% pure silver (hence the term 925 sterling silver) and 7.5% copper. However the 7.5% could be made up by any metal so that it adds strength and durability to the product. It is an ideal metal to be made up by all types of jewellery.

Its texture is bright in colour and perfect for all occasions.

In case you haven't found the answer for your question please feel free to contact us, our customer support will be happy to help you.